So after a successful acoustic night, I was left with the arduous task of editing over 2 and half hours of filming. This of course is multiplied by 3 as we had three cameras so in essence I had over 7 hours of footage to sift through to make to make every song look good, make sure the right camera shots were picked and even match up the colours of the camera to make them appear the same since we had lighting problems and the aperture was changed throughout and was left on different settings.
The audio was mixed by Alex Chance so a separate audio track was added and none of the audio from the cameras was used. This left me with having to line up every single performance with the audio three times. This proved to take an age. I went purely on the lip syncing, so I matched the mouth moving the the lyrics that were used. Doing this 78 (3 cameras x26 songs) times over took a huge amount of time as sometimes I could not match the audio up as it always seemed just a few frames out.
As you can tell from the picture after I lined up the audio I then had to start cutting up all the footage. Fades were added in places and cuts in others to make it look as good as I could get it. To get the first rough edit together took around two weeks. With an average of 45 minutes a song it would of taken around 18-20hours of editing.
With a rough cut done that was sent to Gabbie (the event organiser). She loved it but I could see when I watched it bak with her that I saw a few things that needed tweaking. I then went back and spent another 6 hours or so editing it together. This was then watched back in its entirety (which by this point managed to whittle down to 1hr49mins as there’s no need to have the parts in-between the songs) and then made some minor changes and was ready to export the final piece to DVD.
I was really happy with the results and received great feedback. This has lead to future filming events during May, which I really look forward to.
On April 2nd 2012 I went to film an acoustic night consisting of Performing Art Students at Coventry University. The acoustic night was shot in Coventry at the SU’s Square One.
Tom Neary – Camera 3
Thomas Barnes – Camera 1
Alex Chance – Sound
Dicken Richards – Camera 2
The day started at around 3pm when myself and Tom Neary went to Square one with 3 Sony Z5’s and 3 Tripods. Upon my arrival I had a chat with the Event Organiser Gabrielle Mir-Hosseini about what was going on and what we were going to do and film. Alex Chance was already there sorting out the sound for the evening which took along time to sort out. Myself and Tom then discussed where each camera would go and made sure that we would not be in the way of the audience and likewise them not being in our shots.
We had to move a few tables around so we could get in our prime spots in order to get the best shots of the performance. The biggest problem was where to stick Camera 2. The camera that would supply the shots directly in front of the performance. The best thing to do was to get some staging out, raise it up so it was about 5 foot off the ground and then put the camera on the staging.This made sure that the crowd wouldn’t get in the way and also that the sound desk was also in line with myself and the staging so also had to rise above that.
The lighting also proved to be a huge issue. The lighting had to be good for the show but also good for us to film in. A long time was spent on trail and error to sort out the best lighting. The main problem was that the lights that would be used were not spread wide enough to cover the whole stage. This would turn out to be a problem in filming. The problem was that the microphones had to be evenly spread but the light was different for each microphone spot and in one case the light only covered half of the space it should have. There was only so much that we could do so sorted it out the best we could.
The event was due to start at 8 and by 7 everything was set up and ready to go. Some performers managed to get a few run throughs which did help us in for the main show as well as them.
Thomas Barnes then joined us and went through everything that was going on, what I wanted from everyone etc. and got ourselves in position. What was wanted was to film it and then edit it like it was done as if it was a live tv show.
The show went on for around 3 hours with 26songs and here is a song from that evening edited and sounding amazing.